ARE YOU A CANDIDATE FOR WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY?
At NJ Advanced Surgical Solutions we look at several factors when determining whether you are an ideal candidate for weight-loss surgery. If you are in the Hamilton or Freehold NJ area and you’ve been trying to lose and maintain weight but you haven’t had any luck, you may be a candidate for weight loss surgery performed by Dr. Prokurat. Because of the science behind weight gain, the solution to weight loss goes beyond diet and exercise.
YOU MAY BE A CANDIDATE FOR WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY IF YOU MEET ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Weigh 100 lbs. more than your ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more with no other obesity-related health conditions. Check your BMI using our calculator to see if you meet any of these requirements.
- Have a BMI between 35 and 40 and one other obesity-related health condition, such as High blood pressure, Diabetes, Cholesterol etc.
OTHER FACTORS YOU MAY CONSIDER INCLUDE:
- 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight or a BMI of 40 or greater, with no medical conditions *
- 60-99 pounds above ideal body weight or a BMI of 35 or greater with one or more medical conditions (including but not limited to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, GERD, depression, reproductive issues, sleep apnea)*
- History of documented dietary weight loss attempts
- Lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise, and medical guidelines and follow-up care
- Psychological evaluation
ARE YOU COMMITTED TO A LIFESTYLE CHANGE AND FOLLOW-UP?
Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix. Long-term success depends on your commitment to lifestyle change and follow up care. The multidisciplinary team at NJ Advanced Surgical Solutions will support you through the initial post-surgical period and beyond.
HAVE YOU BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL WITH OTHER WEIGHT-LOSS METHODS?
Unless other weight-loss methods have proven to be unsuccessful, Bariatric surgery is a serious step that should not be considered.
DO YOU HAVE A GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM IN PLACE?
You won’t go through bariatric surgery alone. In addition to the support provided by the staff at NJ Advanced Surgical Solutions, your weight loss journey will also need the support of your friends and family.
RESTRICTIONS FOR BARIATRIC SURGERY
- Patients must be over age 18.
- Patients must not have any uncontrolled psychological conditions.
- Patients must be free of drug or alcohol abuse.
IS WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you are considering bariatric surgery, you have most likely tried many other weight loss methods without success. You may already have begun the process of learning as much as you can about it, both from other patients and from many patient education materials available.
REACHING AN INFORMED DECISION
The best way to reach an informed decision is to engage in an open discussion with your doctor in which you can express your concerns, explore all your options and have your questions answered. You should feel confident that you understand everything fully and that together, you and your doctor, making that decision that is best for you.
OUR WEIGHT-LOSS PROGRAM
If weight loss surgery is right for you, we offer a comprehensive program that serves as a guide throughout your weight loss journey. Our weight loss program is designed to help you long-term, by providing you with assistance and support before your surgery, through to your procedure, and after your surgery with proper diet and exercise programs.