- l cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth enough to cover bulgur
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 mini seedless cucumbers with the skin
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes (Roma or plumb seeded)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 bunch parsley (2 to 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup of fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Cilantro to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Soaking: Pour the bulgur into a deep bowl, add boiled water or vegetable stock and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, drain off any excess liquid and set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry the parsley, cilantro and mint. Remove the stems, finely chop the herbs together. Set aside.
- Dice all vegetables in small size cubes. Set aside.
- Combining: Mix the bulgur with all vegetables, herbs, olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt to taste and combine well.
- Serving: Best served right away so the herbs don’t wilt with your favorite protein.
Calories 272 per 8 oz cup
Protein 6.6 g
Carbs 47.3 g
Fat 6.7 g